When you are out, unexpected things can happen that put you in danger, however, if you take some precautionary steps, then the chances of your personal safety being in jeopardy will be dramatically decreased.
If you have never given the matter of personal safety any thought before and would like to know 10 different personal safety tips, then here is a list:
- Pepper Spray: Carrying around pepper spray can help you out in situations where you might be getting mugged, rapped or assaulted in some way. This is especially true if you are a woman, do not walk around late at night in any neighborhood without pepper spray as it could potentially help you get out of what could be a serious situation.
- Be Aware Of Your Surroundings: whilst walking around, especially late in the evening and in neighborhoods that you aren’t familiar with, you need to look at what is going on around you. So, for example, if at the end of the street you see a group of guys that look dangerous, you might take a turning or simply cross the street to prevent a confrontation. The point is, don’t simply look at the ground whilst walking and being ignorant as that could get you in trouble.
- Plan Your Route Home: If you are out somewhere late in the evening and walking home, then plan your route to be the safest one that you possibly can. This means avoiding any parks, alleyways and areas of your neighborhood that you know might be dangerous. It is best to stick to the main roads where there will still be people walking around and cars driving on the roads.
- Let Someone Know Where You Are Going: By simply letting someone know your whereabouts on a particular day, you are insuring yourself if an accident or emergency were to happen. This gives your family and friends the opportunity to find you because they know where they need to look.
- Don’t Keep A Lot Of Valuables With You: It is good practice to keep as little money as you possibly need so that in the event you would lose your wallet or handbag then you wouldn’t lose a lot of money. However, do keep some money with you at all times in case you get lost and need to order a taxi to find your way back home.
- Walk Away From Confrontations: You need to be the mature person and walk away from confrontations, otherwise you might get involved in a fight that you have no chance of defending yourself against. So, if a group of guys were to taunt you by calling you names, do not even look in their direction, otherwise the taunting could turn into physical abuse.
- Don’t Advertise Your Valuables: If for some reason you have a bunch of cash with you, or you own a very expensive mobile phone then there is no reason to be showing it off. Someone might take notice and follow you home, it could happen at a bar or a shop. So avoid advertising your valuables if you don’t want any attention.
- Do Not Drink Too Much: When on a night out partying with your friends, it would be a big mistake to drink more than you can handle. You should roughly know how much you can handle and therefore try to drink an amount that is within that limit. Otherwise, what will happen is you will become a soft target for people that want to take advantage of you.
- Stay With The Group: If you are out with a group of friend, then make sure that you stay with them, because you are unlikely to get attacked or mugged if you have 4 or 5 other friends around you. Additionally, if you do drink too much then they can take care of you by getting you home safely.
- Always Keep Your Phone Charged: Before you go out, always make sure that your phone will have enough battery life until you get back. You may need to call a cab if you are lost, or a friend for help if you need it.